Saturday, January 16, 2010

Robert John Campbell


Robert "Bob" John Campbell
Born:  24 February 1931 in New York
Died:  14 November 1993 in Gainsville, Cooke, Texas

This is my grandfather Robert John Campbell, better known to family and friends as "BOB".  He was born somewhere in New York on the 24th day of February in 1931.  The only thing that I know about his parents is that his mother's name was "Hattie" and I am unsure if this was a given name or a nickname. 
Grandpa worked for several years for Olin Mills Studios and then later for KXII Channel 12 News in Sherman, TX.  He later moved to Gainsville, TX after his divorce from Lydia Mae Evans-Cordell (my grandmother) and worked at SmokeHouse II and then for a local used car lot.  "Grandpa Bob" was what I always called him.  My grandmother tells me that he loved the fireplace and even during the summers when it reached 100+ here in Texas he would turn the ac down as low as it would go so that he could start the fireplace.  My grandfather was the reason "RED BEER" was popular.... well maybe no, but sure was close and he loved those "DALLAS COWBOYS".  I remember many Thanksgivings playing outside with my sister and hearing the adults yelling inside and wondering what in the world was going on.  It was not until my adult years, that I learned exactly what they were yelling about.

My grandfather married Lydia Mae Evans on the 6th of February 1951 and later divorced on the 16th of October in 1975 in Sherman, Texas.  They had a daughter on the 9th of April in 1954 by the name of Robin Lynn Campbell who now calls home in upstate New York.  After his divorce from Lydia he married Della Rose Fetta, but unsure of the date or where.


My grandfather had problems with his heart and in November of 1993 shortly before my oldest son's first birthday, he suffered from a massive heartattack.  Recently, I have learned that my grandfather served in the Korean War.  I do know that he served for several years in the Airforce, but that is about as much as I know at this time.  He and my grandmother divorced when I was very young.

My grandfather is buried at the Sacred Heart Cemetary in Muenster, Cooke, Texas.



Love ya Grandpa Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment