Monday, February 23, 2009

My Family Quilt- My Mothers Side




My cousin Rene Corwin Young wrote the following story for me while creating a Scrapbook of the Faleris Family before her Journey to Texas to meet my sister and I in October of 2007.


James Faleris

Born: 24 September 1919, Canada
Died: 04 March 1989, St. Ignace, MI


This is the story that Rene remembers as being told to her as a child growing up in the Faleris Family about our "Grandpa".

"Papa was born in Canada. Although the family orginated from Greece, they travelled many times in and out of Greece, to Canada and the US. They resided in several States in the US, before settling in Ontario, Canada. When Papa Jim was 9 yrs old he was diagnosed with Spinal Meningitis and was pronounced dead. The story was when PAPA awoke he was in the morgue. There had been a law passed, that it was mandatory to embalm persons before burying them. Rene said that she remembers being told by Papa that when he was young he worked as a volunteer for the Search & Resue Department for the Canadian Mounty, between the ages of 17-20. He had a passion for riding horses. Rene states, "This could be a childs imagination as I am the only one who remembers this story. Papas Father FRANK FALERIS was a candy maker in Greece and Canada. Rene said she could not find out what kind of candy Frank made. Papa's mother "YIYI" (greek for Grandma), was a house wife and a mother of 12 children.


(...to be continued)

1 comment:

  1. Robin, I tried to leave a comment on this article the other day when all of us bloggers were having some difficulty. I'll give it another try. I love your post on your Grandpa.

    Imagine how he felt waking up in the morgue!! What a story. I tend to believe it was true, don't you? At least I want to believe it!

    ReplyDelete